Technology Resources FAQ for Graduate Students

The information here provides answers to questions frequently asked by graduate students about technology resources available to them in support of teaching as an Assistant in Instruction (AI). The questions and answers also address changes to IT services and resources for Fall 2021.

For coursework and research

How do I access academic software (like MATLAB and STATA) previously available on OIT cluster computers?

With Princeton Virtual Desktops and a standard computer browser, faculty, researchers, and students can access academic software such as Mathematica, Matlab, Perl, R, R Studio, Scientific Workplace, Stata and Office 365, to name a few. See Web-based access to academic software.

Is software available for my computer?

Yes. Through Princeton’s site and volume licensing, many software packages are available at no charge to faculty, students and/or staff. Go to to view software that is available for download. Here, you’ll also find instructions for installing and using the software. For questions about software, email

For more information about software, search the Princeton Service Portal for ‘Software Fall 2021’ or Contact Us.

How do I access online library resources to complete my coursework?

See the Princeton University Library website for the appropriate tools for “Using the Library Off-Campus.”  For library-related questions, you can also contact the Library's Ask Us! support resources. 

What computational and data science resources are available for use in my research and where do I go for help with using them? 

The Getting Started page on the Research Computing website lists the high-performance computing systems that are available and provides guidance on selecting the resource that will best support your research.

Here, you can also find a schedule of training courses and support resources that are available to you should you wish to learn more about using the research computing systems, or need assistance.

I need to purchase a new computer or tablet. Does Princeton have a computer program for students?

Yes. Princeton’s Student Computer Initiative (SCI) program offers Apple and Dell computers, and a tablet. View program details at

Note to students currently outside the US:  We recommend that you purchase your computer in the country where you reside. Vendors who supply SCI computers are experiencing long delays in international delivery at this time. Log into the SCI Store to view recommended computer specifications.

For more information about the SCI program, search the Princeton Service Portal for ‘SCI Fall 2021’ or Contact Us.

I need Adobe Creative Cloud for my coursework. Where can I get it?

An Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) Complete 1-year subscription is available to students at a discounted rate of $19.99 per month. Visit the Adobe website for more details.

Departments can also purchase Adobe Creative Cloud for Graduate Students through the OIT Store.  Please check with your department or SCAD if they are willing to fund this purchase.

For all graduate students

My computer or tablet is broken. What should I do?

To start, contact the OIT Solutions Center by phone, email or chat and request assistance with your computer. An OIT technology specialist will consult with you on the issues you are experiencing. If your computer can be repaired, you will receive a Work Order number and instructions for dropping off your computer at the OIT Solutions Center (room 112) in the Frist Campus Center. An OIT technical specialist will be available to accept your computer for repair services. When repaired, your computer will be available for pickup from the same location.

I have a temporary need for a laptop or a tablet. Can I borrow one?

If you need a temporary computer while yours is being repaired, you can arrange to borrow one from the OIT Technology Loaner program. Contact the OIT Solutions Center by phone, email or chat to inquire about the loaner program and options.

I am experiencing technology-related challenges with teaching, research or coursework. Who can I contact for support?

If you are experiencing challenges with technology for teaching, contact the faculty member for whom you are teaching and/or SCAD for the department for which you are teaching. Refer to the SCAD roster to determine the department’s SCAD.

Research and Coursework
If extenuating circumstances are creating challenges for you with research or coursework, please contact your advisor, Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) or department SCAD who can provide academic support.

On-campus resources for graduate students who live on or near campus

Where are the OIT computing clusters?

The computers, academic software, printing, and scanning services previously provided at our cluster locations are now being offered now as a virtual option through Princeton Virtual Desktops.

For more information about the campus clusters, search the Princeton Service Portal for ‘Clusters Fall 2021’ or Contact Us.

Are printers available?

Printers and printing supplies are provided in Lakeside Apartments, Lawrence Apartments, New Graduate College, Old Graduate College and the Frist Campus Center. For exact locations see “Campus Clusters: Getting Started.”

Are scanners available?

Scanning stations are available in the New Graduate College and Old Graduate College for graduate student use.

Don't see your question?

Don't see your question about information technology listed?  We'd like to help.

For answers, you can search the Princeton Service Portal at To view the technology services that are of particular interest for the fall, search the knowledge for 'Fall2021.'

The OIT Support and Operations Center (SOC) is also available to help by phone, email or chat.